Overall Job Purpose
Full responsibility for the management of day-to-day Transportation & Warehouse Operations to ensure the achievement of business objectives and the highest level of Customer Service whilst maintaining the highest standards for Safety, Quality, Housekeeping and Cost.
Health & Safety
- Take ownership of Health & Safety in all aspects of Transportation and the Warehouse. Maintain continuous focus on Employee Welfare with specific emphasis on Health & Safety, Hygiene, Dangerous Goods and Housekeeping
- Ensure 100% compliance DB Schenker’s Health & Safety Policies and Procedures in conjunction with compliance of all safety, health and environmental legislation and regulations.
- Ensure that work processes are designed and performed in a manner with promotes the Health & Safety Values of DB Schenker.
- Proactively participate in Health & Safety initiatives introduced in the Company in line wit the H&S team within the cluster.
- Communicate DB Schenker Health & Safety policies to external service providers; to ensure that all work carried out on behalf of DB Schenker is completed in a safe & efficient manner.
- Report out Health &Safety performance as required.
- Take ownership of all equipment used in the facility to ensure it is 100% perfect and safe for all your team to use.
- Liaise with customers on a daily basis with a professional personal approach, to ensure that service levels fulfill or exceed expectations, thereby developing & enhancing long lasting and rewarding business partnerships.
- To maintain an ongoing understanding of the customers business enabling the operation to develop proactively to meet and exceed customer needs. In conjunction with the Product Manager, maintain and develop the existing relationships with customers.
- Ensure 100% compliance with Customers operating procedures and investigate any non-conformances or service level issues. Introduce the necessary corrective action promptly.
Operations / Administration
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the Transportation & Warehouse operation to ensure it functions within budgetary constraints whilst meeting both safety, quality and productivity targets.
- Manage the relationships with vendors in order to achieve improved efficiencies and service levels.
- Monitor Key Performance Indicators in order to develop & maintain a continuous improvement culture. Consistently review and measure operational processes to achieve maximum efficiencies.
- Work closely with the Operations team, in order to proactively meet/exceed the customer service levels.
- Optimum and safe storage of all materials with a continuing focus on Inventory Integrity programs.
- Ensure 100% compliance with Air Cargo Security and Quality requirements.
- Ensure collection, storage and delivery of customer product is performed in a cost efficient and speedy manner in addition to ensuring safe passage.
- Motivate and develop staff through informal and formal mechanisms. (i.e. coaching, goal setting, mentoring, performance management and feedback).
- Ensure all personnel are fully trained and competent and deliver an effective and quality customer service. Ensure that training plans are achieved on an on-going basis.
- Define and communicate clear performance objectives through the Performance Review mechanisms.
- Own any HR incidents / Issues within your team and ensure any disciplinary incidents, are documented, reported and dealt with professionally and promptly with support from HR Team.
- Drive good practices, culture, and be seen as a leader in all good iniatives for the department, with programs such as xSite, NISO, ISO, etc.
- Ensure compliance with EQM and QMS.
- Use the corrective database and action customer complaints and process issues.
- Be the driver of quality within the warehouse with your team
Person Competencies (Skills, Knowledge, Ability)
- Excellent WH Operations knowledge.
- Understanding of Finance – Budgets/P&L. Excellent attendance and performance.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to deal effectively with a diversity of individuals at all organizational levels.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Strong organizational skills; able to manage priorities and workflow.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize projects.
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively in person, on the phone, electronically, or through other means to individuals and groups.
- Good understanding of laws, regulations, and policies related to HR and Safety i.e. HSA and Employment legislation
- Bring new ideas to operation, innovation, new technology.
- Some experience in manufacturing environment.
Key Outputs / Performance Measures
- Drive necessary and appropriate operational practices within DB Schenker facility to ensure recognised emphasis on safety-first is maintained and that DB Schenker is seen as best-in-class in safety management.
- Continuous improvement on Safety and Operational KPI's.
- Ensure SMBO's (Schenker Management by Objectives) completed in timely manner.
- Demonstrate to IIF (Incident and Injury Free) Team DB Schenker are best in class regarding Safety practices by innovated methods to keep Safety Program Fresh and current.
- Achieve high performance in SRC (Supplier Report Card).
- Maintain all KPI’s above Customer targets while achieving financial plan annually.
- Achieve Operational Budget targets (Overtime, Transport, Contracts).
- Inventory Integrity program maintained above Customers expectations.
- Develop good relationship with Customer to ensure a positive working partnership.
- Be a major contributor to the Quality (Continuous Improvement) Program, challenge your team to demonstrate supplier value add.
- Drive culture of equity and consistency across the site to achieve reduction in disciplinary matters while maintaining low attrition levels.
- With GM focus Monthly on cost savings and Best Practices, report Quarterly and meet/exceed contract commitments.
- Timely closure of all actions assigned to operations team, essential to continuous improvement.
- Manage and Maintain training plan for all staff, particularly co-ordinators and supervisors.
- Using existing risk-assessment techniques, identify key dependencies and develop succession plans for all key roles, including your own
- Staff Training; ensure this program meets all the needs of the operation to meet customer expectations.
- Develop an improvement plan for Supervisors - set clear expectations.
- All employees to have a 6-month interim review.
- Negotiate Competitive Contracts with DB Schenker Suppliers
- Facility housekeeping, appropriate signage, internal and external visual appearance
- Develop Program for Continuous Improvement
- Ensure Warehouse is always presentable for Customer Visits.