|Post Title:||Staff Nurse|
|Post Status:||Permanent and Specified Purpose Contracts|
|Department:||Raheny Community Nursing Unit|
|Location:||St Joseph’s hospital Campus, Edenmore, Dublin|
|Reports to:||Director of Nursing, St Joseph’s Hospital Campus|
|Salary:||Appointment will be made on Staff Nurse Grade (€29,860 - €46,501) at a point in line with Government pay policy.|
|Hours of work:||Full time, 39 hours per week|
|Closing Date:||12 Noon on Tuesday, 24th September 2019|
As a Staff Nurse in RCNU you will be expected to take responsibility for each shift for a caseload of patients. For these you will assess, plan, implement and evaluate care within the Roper, Logan and Tierney Model of Nursing. In addition, you are expected to practice within the Code of Practice guidelines from An Bord Altranais and within the Nursing and other Hospital Policies and Procedures. You will be held accountable to the Clinical Nurse Manager 2 and in her absence to the delegated nurse holding shift responsibility for the ward. Discretion, initiative and an interest in teaching student nurses and preliminary training students to function independently is also a prerequisite. At all times you will practice within the limits of your experience and will have available to you more senior expert nurses. Overall, your responsibilities may be divided into clinical, professional, managerial and educational categories.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. To maintain a high standard of nursing care.
2. To develop clinical expertise, leadership and teaching skills through nursing practice.
3. To share responsibility with the nursing team for the management of nursing care and the patients environment under the direction of the Clinical Nurse Manager/Charge Nurse.
4. To maintain a high standard of professional and ethical responsibility.
5. To provide and maintain effective, individualised nursing care by:-
6. Assessing (with the patients where possible) physical, psychological and social problems and the need for nursing intervention.
7. Preparing and up-dating the nurse care plans within a nursing framework to include treatment delegated by medical staff.
8. Assisting the medical staff in their treatment of patients through the co-ordination of care and treatments provided by other disciplines and integrating these into the care plan.
9. Acting as team leader in giving skilled nursing care and treatments for a caseload of patients.
10. Planning the involvement of the patient’s relatives, teaching and supervising nursing techniques in preparation for the transfer home.
MAIN JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Utilises assessment skills and techniques to determine patient needs on admission.
2. Completes and documents the nursing admission assessment in a thorough and accurate manner.
3. Assesses patient condition on an ongoing basis.
4. Assesses the need for patient/family instruction.
1. Develops and documents a plan of care based on patient needs.
2. Updates the written plan of care based on patient needs.
3. Develops patient teaching and discharge plans as necessary.
4. Collaborates with other health team members in planning care.
1. Provides safe, comprehensive nursing care to a caseload of patients and within the guidelines laid out by An Bord Altranais.
2. Knows and practices according to established legal requirements, policy and procedures.
3. Establishes care priorities based on nursing/medical patient problems.
4. Performs procedures accurately, completely and safely.
5. Provides care with minimal supervision in a timely manner.
6. Maintains a safe environment for patients.
7. Respects the dignity and confidentiality of patients, serving as an advocate as necessary.
8. Functions quickly and effectively in an emergency situation.
9. Adapts to changing workload.
10. Deals with ward incidents and accidents in accordance with hospital policy.
Accurately record and report detail.
1. Contributes to nursing quality assurance by assisting in the identification of recurrent nursing problems and co-operating in data collection.
1. Documents according to policy and procedure.
2. Reports verbally and in writing pertinent patient care information to appropriate nursing/medical personnel.
3. Communicates appropriately with patients/relatives and colleagues and other members of the health care team.
4. Approaches interpersonal relationships in a manner that avoids antagonism, reduces conflict and prevents undue anxiety.
5. Recognises self-limitations and requests assistance.
1. Supports the philosophy, objectives and goals of the nursing department and hospital.
2. Follows appropriate lines of authority by discussing issues firstly with Clinical Nurse Manager, then with Unit Nurse Manager and then with the Director of Nursing.
3. Demonstrates flexibility by assisting in other areas of the Hospital as needed.
1. Demonstrates ability to organise care for caseload of patients.
2. Uses time effectively.
3. Shows ability to delegate work to Staff Nurses, Student Nurses or other.
4. Uses discretion for decision making regarding patient care.
5. Displays initiative.
6. Reports on-going problems to Ward Sister.
1. Demonstrates ability to teach and guide more Junior Staff/Students.
2. Shows interest in Post Graduate Education/Self Development.
3. Attends required standard number of Study Days in the year
The job description indicates the main functions and responsibilities of the post and is subject to review and amendment.
Selection criteria outline the qualifications, skills, knowledge and/or experience that the successful candidate would need to demonstrate for successful discharge of the responsibilities of the post.
Applications will be assessed on the basis of how well candidates satisfy these criteria.
Be registered in the General Division of the Register of Nurses with An BordAltranais and have their names maintained on the Live Register with An Bord Altranais.
Experience in Care of the Older persons service
Informal Enquiries ONLY to:
Director of Nursing, Raheny Campus
01 860 5614
Follow us on Facebook and stay up to date with the latest jobs in Dublin!