Adult Literacy Organiser (ALO)
Adult Literacy Organiser (ALO)
Initial Location: Further Education and Training Department – Adult Education Services, Athenry Area
Capacity: Temporary, Full-time, Maternity Leave Cover
Reporting to: Director of Further Education and Training (FET), FET Senior Manager/Adult Education Officer (AEO)
The post holder will be located in the GRETB FET Centre, Athenry. Successful post holder(s) may be transferred to another area within the organisation to allow for the allocation of additional duties, as and when required, which may include the reassignment to other duties where necessary.
The Position: The Adult Literacy Organiser will have responsibility for leading and managing the literacy services within GRETB. The ALO will be responsible for developing, communicating and implementing the ETB’s Adult Literacy Services plans and policies in consultation with the Director of FET/ Adult Education Officer. The ALO as a member of the Adult Education Services team will be involved in the development of the FET strategy and supporting Adult Education Services in GRETB.
Initial Duties and Responsibilities: To participate, under the direction and advice of the Director of Further Education & Training and the Adult Education Officer and in co-operation with other managers and staff, in the organisation, co-ordination and monitoring of any activities which may be involved in or arise out of the appointment within the Board’s scheme, as the Chief Executive may decide.
Key Duties /Areas of Responsibility of ALO (CL M15/2001):
- Maintain an ethos appropriate to adult learning;
- Management and leadership of staff;
- Plan, develop, and manage the literacy service in consultation with the Adult Education Officer and staff in Adult Education Services;
- Recruit, assess and match students and volunteer tutors and assistas appropriate in the recruitment of paid tutors;
- Support, develop and manage tutors and students;
- Ensure the provision of initial and in-service training for paid staff and volunteers;
- Manage resources, e.g. finance, materials, premises etc.;
- Input and maintain relevant and accurate data on the Programme Learner Support System(PLSS) and the Funding Allocation Request and Reporting System (FARR) and generate reports as required by GRETB, SOLAS, DES etc.;
- Promote the literacy service through networking, raising awareness and publicity;
- Enhance own expertise through continuous professional development;
- Liaise with relevant voluntary and statutory bodies including the literacy referral networks.
- Budgeting and financial management within thefinancial framework of the GRETB system in line with governance, compliance and reporting requirements;·
- Any other duties assigned by the Chief Executive/Director of FET/Adult Education Officer
Adult Literacy Organiser
Appropriate third level qualification in Adult Basic Education Management or equivalent qualification in relevant discipline(s) commensurate with this role would be a decided advantage.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience / knowledge in Literacy Tutor Training, Education Management, Management of Volunteers and Participation in Adult Literacy In-Service Training or other equivalent education/training, experience in adult, youth or community work;
- Excellent planning, organisation, communication and teamwork skills;
- Excellent analytical, negotiation and decision making skills;
- Excellent report writing skills and high level of computer literacy;
- Proven track record of working in partnership and building positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Experience of developing and implementing strategy, programmes and initiatives;
- Successful applicant will have a full driving licence and access to a car and be willing to work flexibly outside of normal working hours as required.
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills – confident communicator who is able to motivate others.
- Relationship Building/Team working - ability to work independently and co-operatively as part of a team.
- Problem-solving-able to analyse information and generate creative solutions.
- Organisation and Planning – able to plan and prioritise effectively with a focus on successful outcomes.
- Perseverance and Resilience – ability to work in a fluid and challenging environment.
- Self-Awareness and Self-Management - evaluate own progression with a view to continuous learning and development.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE:
Terms of Appointment
This post is a whole time, temporary, maternity leave cover position and a panel may be formed for further positions that may arise in a temporary or permanent capacity.
Remuneration: New Entrants: €44,097 – 69,207
Pre 01/01/2011 entrants: €48,757– 69,207
IMPORTANT NOTICE RE: SALARY:
As per DES guidelines, new appointees who are entering this grade for the first time will start at the minimum point of the scale. Incremental credit may only apply, if, immediately prior to appointment, the appointee is already a serving Civil or Public Servant. Rate of remuneration may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government pay policy.
Starting Salary is not subject to negotiation.
Hours of work:
A 35 -hour week is in operation. Attendance will be required during normal ETB office hours and at such other times as are necessary for the delivery of the duties of the post. Attendance outside of normal office hours will be by prior agreement with the Director of FET/Adult Education Officer as will the offsetting of such attendance against normal office hour’s attendance. Hours may be adjusted from time to time under relevant Public Sector Agreements.
The Annual Leave entitlement for this post is 35 days.
Sick Leave will be in accordance with the arrangements authorised by the Minister for Education from time to time.
How to Apply:
Completed application form must be submitted online by the deadline 12.00 p.m. Wednesday, 22nd March 2023.
The closing date for applications is Wednesday the 22nd of March 2023
Before you go
By creating a job alert, you agree to our Terms. You can unsubscribe from these directly within the emails or as detailed in our terms.Continue to job