BOF-75 Applications Engineer Level 2 for Wearable Smart Systems (HOLISTICS Project)
Contract Type: Full Time/Fixed Term
The Tyndall National Institute is a world leader in the development of Smart Sensing systems for use in the body, on the body and around the body. Working closely with a global range of academic, business and clinical partners, our technology is under evaluation by several multinational corporations and is approaching market readiness in a number of areas including Connected IOT, Smart Agriculture, Industry 4.0, Environmental sensing and wearable sensing for fitness and health.
The Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN) group has recently secured funded proposals in the development of Wearable systems from a variety of national funding agencies (Enterprise Ireland, Science Foundation Ireland, Irish Research Centre) as well as international funding agencies (Horizon2020, ECSEL). In these projects the WSN group is carrying out multi-disciplinary research projects in both applied and fundamental research activities associated with Wearable Smart Systems integration, embedded computing, and edge analytics.
In particular, the WSN research group at Tyndall has recently received significant funding from the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation (DBEI) as part of its Disruptive Technologies Innovation Fund (DTIF) for the HOLISTICS project. HOLISTICS will connect Irish-based companies (SME & MNC) in the Med-tech, Sports Science, ICT and Design/Human Factors Engineering sectors with leading Irish Research Performing Organisations (RPOs) and Clinicians to exploit state-of-the-art hardware, software, data analytics and visualization technologies for wearable systems. HOLISTICS builds on several years of engagement between Tyndall and Irish companies to address disruptive business opportunities in Health-Tech as well as significant experience in driving large scale Research & Innovation programs.
The WSN group is looking to recruit a number of Applications Engineers to develop the necessary hardware and software system prototypes for test and validation with clinical partners in the HOLISTICs project in the delivery of disruptive research in wearable systems for healthcare.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
Reporting to the WSN Head of Group or his nominee, this is an exciting opportunity to help define and implement applied research projects in a variety of fast-moving, industrially relevant areas. Working with the Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) Head of Group and industry applied research team, the successful candidate will be part of a team of multi-disciplinary industry aligned researchers with expertise in microsystems technology, wireless sensors, electronics and low-power system hardware and software design to execute industry defined applied research projects. The team comprises of engineers, researchers and postgraduate students with various levels of experience and qualifications.
Activities will include applied research implementation, hardware/software co-design of embedded systems, and travel to international conferences, workshops, industry meetings, proposal project meetings, to strategically position Tyndall WSN as a world-leading industry-focused applied research group.
- To work independently in conjunction with the Principal Investigator/Project/Team Leader to develop appropriate Hardware and Software solutions in the development of wearable embedded systems.
- Work with project managers in conjunction with senior researchers and Tyndall’s industry/research partners (existing and planned) to identify and deliver on their embedded systems needs with respect to wearable systems (technologies and applications).
- The candidate will be required to undertake independently the system specification, design and deployment of wireless sensing systems (for wearable applications) under the guidance and supervision of senior researchers
- Planning, organizing of appropriate demonstrators and communicating Tyndall’s research activities as part of the groups outreach programs
- To ensure the transfer of knowledge and design practices to newly appointed staff and students
- To engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities as required by the Principal Investigator, School or College in order to develop research skills and competencies.
- To manage independently the required activities to support the program of research and help ensure all relevant project deliverables and milestones are achieved in a timely manner.
- Participate in Education and Public Engagement activities, as required.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system and required Health & Safety standards.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- A Postgraduate degree in Electronic Engineering or a related discipline
- Typically 4 years’ experience in developing Embedded Systems Hardware/Software (Firmware)
- Proven Experience in analog and digital circuit design
- Proven Experience in analog and digital PCB design for complex multi- layer embedded systems
- Proven firmware development for complex analog and digital systems including sensor interfacing and communications
- Experience with relevant lab-equipment
- A demonstrated capability in the delivery of applied research projects for embedded systems from conception to deployment
- Proven track record in managing and delivering on projects in the development of applied engineering research and delivery of expected milestones in a timely manner
- Experience of project managing (academic and industry) R&D projects
- Demonstrated ability in leading high performing technical teams with successful outcomes
- Strong communication skills, including report writing and presentation skills.
- Experience with the development of wearable on body sensor systems
- Good analytical skills and computer skills for algorithm development and their integration in to embedded systems
- A proven ability to work independently to a tight schedule
- Proven organizational,Project Management, Time Management and communication skills
- High levels of initiative, self-management, achievement-orientation, and motivation
- Capability of working effectively within a team to achieve results
Appointment may be made on the Admin V Grade 5 Scale B (new entrants) salary scale €42,404- €52,256 per annum. Salary placement on appointment will be in accordance with public sector pay policy.
For further information and informal enquiries please contact Brendan O’ Flynn at firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is Friday the 29th of October 2021
Follow us on Facebook and stay up to date with the latest jobs in Cork!
Before you go
By creating a job alert, you agree to our Terms. You can unsubscribe from these directly within the emails or as detailed in our terms.Continue to job