Daughters of Charity Disability Support Services
ST. VINCENT’S CENTRE, DUBLIN
Care Staff 19.5 hpw
Care Staff 35 hpw
Salary €26,303 - €35,721 – (Salary to be pro rated in line with hours of work)
Salary subject to Relevant Public Sector Experience
Daughters of Charity Disability Support Services provide Residential and Day Services to people with an Intellectual Disability. We are looking for candidates who are committed to supporting people with disabilities and their families, in a person centred, community based, socially inclusive manner in accordance with our core values and ethos and underpinned by quality, best practice and research.
Along with the ability to carry out all duties detailed in the job description, photocopies of the following must be attached to your application, otherwise regrettably, we are unable to shortlist:-
• Fully Completed FETAC Level 5/QQ I or relevant equivalent
• Curriculum Vitae
Applicants should have: -
• FETAC Level 5/QQ I in Healthcare Support or relevant equivalent
• Previous experience working within the Intellectual Disability area and of working with people
who have a diagnosis of Autism and Behaviours of Concern
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills
• The ability to effectively manage their time; work on their own initiative and as part of a team.
• Commitment to promoting the active engagement and participation of Service Users in their local communities
• A person centred approach to enabling Service Users to maximise their independence and develop meaningful roles in society
• The ability to be flexible and creative
• Full Clean Driving Licence is desirable
• Applicants should possess Level 1 behavioural competencies of DOCDSS competency framework
Informal enquiries to Mary Reynolds, Service Manager
Tel: 01 824 5303
“A panel may be formed from which future Care Staff Positions may be filled”
Please apply to our website www.docservice.ie/careers.aspx
We are unable to shortlist Applications, unless the following is submitted, including internal staff:
CV and a copy of relevant qualifications detailed on the advert in one PDF Document
Closing date for receipt of applications:
Closing date for receipt of applications: 12 noon on Tuesday 13th August 2019
Daughters of Charity Disability Support Services is an equal opportunities employer
JOB TITLE: CARE STAFF
RESPONSIBLE: THROUGH SENIOR PERSONNEL TO SERVICE MANAGER
EMPLOYING AUTHORITY: DAUGHTERS OF CHARITY
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Ensure the highest standard of care and support in respect of the physical, psychological, emotional well-being each service user. An environment is created that is conducive to their well being. Maintaining the highest standards of professional care and safety in the home/area.
2. Ensure each service user is treated with dignity and respect and that their person centred plans are implemented ensuring outcomes are documented and measured
3. Promote self development, independence and individuality of each service user.
4. Ensure that service users are treated in a manner appropriate to their age and gender and that this is reflected in their manner of dress, activities and social contacts.
5. Ensure that any relevant change in a service user's physical or behaviour pattern is brought to the attention of the manager and relevant reports are completed.
6. Maintaining good order and organisation in the house/area at all times especially in housekeeping, cleanliness and hygiene.
7. Integrating service users as far as possible into the local community. Promoting good relationships with neighbours and the general public.
8. Ensure participation in religious/liturgical programmes in accordance with the ethos of the Daughters of Charity.
9. Encourage and participate, where appropriate with service users in social educational and recreational activities within the local community. Participating in holidays with service users.as required
10. Ensure that good quality food is prepared and encourage service users to help in the preparation and serving of meals where appropriate.
11. Support when necessary, service users who exhibit behaviours that challenge, or who have seizures or other conditions. Participating as requested in monitoring and recording that may be necessary.
12. Attending relevant service user meetings as directed by the Manager
13. Sharing responsibility for monitoring house supplies equipment and clothing
14. Undertake all aspects of home/area management as directed by the Manager.
15. In the event of being alone in an emergency situation, if trained, administering basic first aid until assistance arrives on the scene as per relevant protocol.
16. Being flexible in working hours to meet the changing needs of service users
17. Ensuring all records including Care Plans, PCP’s, individual programmes behaviour interventions are maintained and regularly reviewed to give an accurate update to the relevant staff. Ensuring all records relating to the particular house are kept up to date on occasions care staff may work on their own, and assume responsibility as lead person under the direction of their manager.
18. Being fully aware of and working within, Service Policies and Procedures and local guidelines.
19. Accompanying service users to outside professional appointments as may be requested from time to time. Ensuring full knowledge of relevant aspects of service user prior to appointment.
20. Being fully familiar with emergency procedures and ensure that a safe environment is created for the service users. Ensure the health and safety policy of the service is strictly adhered to.
21. Attending training programmes as may be requested from time to time, including medication management. Involvement in all aspects of service user care, including medication management and recording of same.
22. Accompanying service users to day services and other activities either in service transport or public transport as required.
23. The duties and responsibilities may change due to changing needs of the service users, care staff must be flexible and willing to change and adapt to new interventions.
24. Participate in Service Annual Performance Review System
25. Maintain a high standard of work performance, attendance, appearance and punctuality at all times.
26. Ensure good working relationships are maintained with colleagues.
27. Maintain the highest standards of confidentiality are maintained at all times
28. Any other duties as may be required from time to time.
The above job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of duties and responsibilities and consequently the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post when in office. This job description may change in line with the changing needs and objectives of the Daughters of Charity Disability Support Service.
• Adopts a person centered approach and supports service users with empathy, compassion and respect.
• Demonstrates a commitment to achieving a high standard result.
• Is flexible and adaptable to meet unanticipated demands.
• Complies with organisational policies and procedures at all times.
• Understands, demonstrates and respects the rights of all service users and families
Planning & Organising
• Demonstrates the ability to plan and deliver the duties of the role in an effective and resourceful manner within a model of person centered care.
• Adopts a systematic approach to planning, organising and managing workload.
• Able to multi task without losing focus.
• Manages competing and changing priorities effectively.
• Demonstrates a flexible and adaptable approach in a changing environment.
• Deals with issues in a timely manner.
• Demonstrates a high level of attention to detail
• Approaches all tasks in a confident manner.
• Shows pride in one’s profession.
• Demonstrates honesty and integrity: holds a strong code of ethics.
• Maintains appropriate and professional boundaries.
• Manages personal problems to minimise impact on work or professional relationships
• Respects confidentiality and discretion in all work related matters.
• Pays attention to dress code and professional appearance.
• Shows an enthusiastic and committed attitude to ones work.
• Understands scope of practice.
• Understands the need to apply service and/or professional standards, policies and procedures
• Demonstrates self-belief in own potential and ability.
Continuous Learning & Development
• Shows enthusiasm and motivation for work.
• Willing to use opportunities to improve, learn and develop self.
• Regularly participates in on the job learning.
• Stays current in own field of expertise.
• Is open to constructive feedback, acknowledges own limitations.
• Understands role and boundaries of other disciplines.
• Initiates and undertakes mandatory training.
• Takes responsibility to ensure learning and understanding of new ideas and procedures.
• Self evaluates own performance to continuously improve personal development.
• Understands the mission and core values of Daughter of Charity Disability Support Services.
• Is aware of the multiple services provided by the Daughters of Charity.
• Familiar with professional bodies.
• Is knowledgeable of regulations and where relevant applies practice in accordance with legislation to area of work.
• Has the skill set to access computer systems and ability to learn new IT system’s
• Knowledgeable of professional standards, policies and procedures relevant to discipline.
• Understands how own scope of practice fits with the organisation.
Innovation & Creativity
• Demonstrates a can do attitude.
• Generates new ideas.
• Shows enthusiasm for trying new ways of doing things.
• Voluntarily puts forward suggestions for improvements.
• Promotes improvement ideas to colleagues.
• Takes a creative approach to work by exploring a range of options whilst keeping an open mind.
• Effectively applies existing practices or processes to new work situations to benefit the service and service users.
• Takes appropriate action to address inefficiencies in work processes and establishes improved ways of getting the job done
• Successfully modifies behaviour to embrace change.
• Energetic and Inspires others through own positive attitude.
• Creates trust by being honest, reliable and consistent.
• Can be directive without being dictatorial.
• Blends a focus on results with a caring and sensitivity for individuals.
• Demonstrates the ability to be flexible in relation to hours of work and roles and responsibilities.
• Responds positively to new demands and requirements.
Problem Solving & Decision Making
• Makes timely, intuitive decisions to achieve successful outcome.
• Identifies and uses appropriate sources of information when making decisions.
• Supports views with sound logic reasoning.
• Reasons systematically and logically through issues.
• Demonstrates common sense when dealing with every day issues that arise.
• Knows when to ask for help and guidance from supervisor and/or colleagues
• Contributes consistently and positively to team activities.
• Projects a warm and appropriate professional demeanour at all times.
• Is accepting of diverse values and beliefs.
• Helps others: willing to take on different tasks/roles accordingly to the needs of the team.
• Expresses views and professional opinion at team meetings.
• Knows when and where to consult with other members of the team.
• Is responsive to the needs of other team members: shows empathy.
• Balances listening to others ideas with sharing own thoughts.
• Considers how ones behaviour may impact others.
• Has the knowledge and confidence to identify and personally manage own workplace disagreements locally at an early stage and knows when to seek support of management.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
• Communicates openly and honestly.
• Shows empathy when handling delicate or sensitive issues.
• Shows patience when dealing with others.
• Considers how ones behaviour may impact others.
• Clearly and confidently articulates ideas and opinions and their underlying rationale.
• Draws on a variety of communication methods to fit/situation circumstances.
• Open listening: asking clarifying questions and makes eye contact.
• Demonstrates positive body language.
• Knows when to speak, what to talk about, with whom, when, and where.
• Communicates effectively in English language, written and spoken, as appropriate to job requirements.
• Numerate and Literate.
Follow us on Facebook and stay up to date with the latest jobs in Dublin!