The post of CNM 2 has a pivotal role in service planning, co-ordinating, and managing activity and resources within the clinical area. The main responsibilities are: quality assurance, resource management, staffing and staff development, practice development, facilitating communication and professional / clinical leadership.
Ward 3B (Stroke)
Ward 3B is a 31 bedded stroke unit complete with hyper-acute stroke bay and on-ward therapy suite. Stroke units remain the cornerstone of good stroke care with multi-disciplinary teams working collaboratively to reduce death and disability and empower patients to lead as full a life as possible after their stroke.
The Clinical Nurse Manager 2 will:
- Manage patient care to ensure the highest professional standards using an evidence based, care planning approach.
- Provide a high level of professional and clinical leadership.
- Be responsible for the co-ordination, assessment, planning, delivery and review of service user care by all staff in designated area(s).
- Provide safe, comprehensive nursing care to service users according to the Code of Professional Conduct as laid down by the Bord Altranais agus Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (Nursing Midwifery Board Ireland) and Professional Clinical Guidelines.
- Practice nursing according to:
- Professional Clinical Guidelines
- National and Area Health Service Executive (HSE) guidelines.
- Local policies, protocols and guidelines
- Current legislation
- Manage own caseload in accordance with the needs of the post.
- Participate in teams / meetings / committees as appropriate, communicating and working in co-operation with other team members.
- Facilitate co-ordination, co-operation and liaison across healthcare teams and programmes.
- Collaborate with service users, family, carers and other staff in treatment / care planning and in the provision of support and advice.
- Communicate verbally and / or in writing results of assessments, treatment / care programmes and recommendations to the team and relevant others in accordance with service policy.
- Plan discharge or transition of the service user between services as appropriate.
- Ensure that service users and others are treated with dignity and respect.
- Maintain nursing records in accordance with local service and professional standards.
- Adhere to and contribute to the development and maintenance of nursing standards, protocols, and guidelines consistent with the highest standards of patient care.
- Evaluate and manage the implementation of best practice policy and procedures e.g. admission and discharge procedures, control and usage of stocks and equipment, grievance and disciplinary procedures.
- Maintain professional standards in relation to confidentiality, ethics and legislation.
- In consultation with CNM3 and other disciplines, implement and assess quality management programmes.
- Participate in clinical audit as required.
- Initiate and participate in research studies as appropriate.
- Devise and implement Health Promotion Programmes for service users as relevant to the post.
- Operate within the scope of practice - seek advice and assistance from his / her manager with any cases or issues that prove to be beyond the scope of his / her professional competence in line with principles of best practice and clinical governance.
Health & Safety
- Ensure that effective safety procedures are developed and managed to comply with statutory obligations, in conjunction with relevant staff e.g. health and safety procedures, emergency procedures.
- Observe, report and take appropriate action on any matter which may be detrimental to staff and/or service user care or wellbeing / may be inhibiting the efficient provision of care.
- Assist in observing and ensuring implementation and adherence to established policies and procedures e.g. health and safety, infection control, storage and use of controlled drugs etc.
- Ensure completion of incident / near miss forms / clinical risk reporting.
- Adhere to department policies in relation to the care and safety of any equipment supplied for the fulfilment of duty.
- Liaise with other relevant staff e.g. CNS Infection Control.
- Have a working knowledge of the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) Standards as they apply to the role for example, Standards for Healthcare, National Standards for the Prevention and Control of Healthcare Associated Infections, Hygiene Standards etc. and comply with associated HSE protocols for implementing and maintaining these standards as appropriate to the role.
- Support, promote and actively participate in sustainable energy, water and waste initiatives to create a more sustainable, low carbon and efficient health service.
Education and Training
- Engage in continuing professional development by keeping up to date with nursing literature, recent nursing research and new developments in nursing management, education and practice and to attend staff study days as considered appropriate.
- Be familiar with the curriculum training programme for student nurses and be aware of the clinical experience required to meet the needs of the programme.
- Participate in the identification, development and delivery of induction, education, training and development programmes for nursing and non-nursing staff.
- Provide support and supportive supervision to Clinical Nurse Manager 1 and front-line staff where appropriate.
- Supervise and assess student nurses and foster a clinical learning environment.
- Engage in performance review processes including personal development planning as appropriate.
- Exercise authority in the running of the assigned area(s) as deputised by the CNM3.
- Provide the necessary supervision, co-ordination and deployment of nursing and support staff to ensure the optimum delivery of care in the designated area(s).
- Manage communication at ward and departmental level and facilitate team building.
- Provide staff leadership and motivation which is conducive to good working relations and work performance.
- Promote a culture that values diversity and respect in the workplace.
- Formulate, implement and evaluate service plans and budgets in co-operation with the wider healthcare team.
- Manage all resources efficiently and effectively within agreed budget.
- Lead on practice development within the clinical area.
- Lead and implement change.
- Promote, facilitate and participate in the development of nursing policies and procedures. Monitor as appropriate and lead on proactive improvement.
- Contribute to the formulation, development and implementation of policies and procedures at area and hospital level.
- Ensure compliance with legal requirements, policies and procedures affecting service users, staff and other hospital matters.
- Manage and promote liaisons with internal / external bodies as appropriate e.g. intra-hospital service and the community.
- Actively participate in the Nursing Management structure by ‘acting up’ when required.
- Maintain all necessary clinical and administrative records and reporting arrangements.
- Engage in IT developments as they apply to service user and service administration.
The above Job Specification is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Name: Nora Twomey, Assistant Director of Nursing
Number: 087 2186170
Follow us on Facebook and stay up to date with the latest jobs in Cork!
Before you go
By creating a job alert, you agree to our Terms. You can unsubscribe from these directly within the emails or as detailed in our terms.Continue to job