Key Working Relationships
The appointed person will report to their Domestic Services Supervisor who is responsible for the supervision of Domestic Staff who also reports to Line Manager and Service Manager.
Purpose of the Post
To deliver a high standard of quality housekeeping and catering to patients/ residents through the provision of a clean environment and the prevention of cross infection. Postholder will ensure implementation of IPC and Hygiene standards as delineated in Safer, better hospital standards (HIQA 2012) and in keeping with National Infection Control Policies and HIQA Hygiene Standards.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The Person holding the post is required to support the principle that the care of the patient comes first at all times and will approach their work with the flexibility and enthusiasm necessary to deliver this principle.
· To deliver a high standard of quality housekeeping and catering to patient/resident/HSE staff through implementation of IPC measures and Hygiene standards and frequencies as set out by HIQA.
· You will be responsible to ensure you work within your scope of practice.
· To attend for duty as assigned by the Domestic Supervisor and at such hours as candidate determines.
· To work as part of a Team in providing high quality standards and efficient cleaning service to all departments.
· The post holder must maintain awareness of the privacy of patients/residents in relation to all activities.
· The post holder may be tasked with housekeeping and catering duties as part of their daily duties.
· Teamwork is a specific requirement of the post as you will be working with multidisciplinary teams.
· You will report to your Domestic Service Supervisors
· The post holder will adhere to Health and Safety regulations and all policies and procedures as guidelines provided to you upon induction.
· Your post will consist of:
· Collection of cleaning materials and trolley
· Empty and clean bins inside and out.
· Check and clean toilets, sinks, baths, and showers.
· Legionella flush as per protocol
· Dust control, vacuum, mop, buff all floors
· Damp dust windows, doors, lockers, beds, tables, door frames, high dust bed rails, light fittings.
· Change bed screens and window curtains as required
· Record keeping of all duties
· Report broken equipment or equipment due for service.
· Maintain cleaning equipment and leave clean for next person to use.
· Checklist must be signed and dated as per protocol
Risk Management, Quality, Health & Safety
The Management of Risk, Infection Control, Hygiene Services and Health and Safety is the responsibility of everyone and will be achieved within a progressive, honest and open environment
The Post holder must be familiar with the necessary education and training and support to enable them to meet this responsibility.
· Adequately identifies, assesses, manages and monitors risk within their area of responsibility.
· Have a working knowledge of the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) Standards as they apply to the role for example, Standards for Healthcare, National Standards for the Prevention and Control of Healthcare Associated Infections, Hygiene Standards etc. and comply with associated HSE protocols for implementing and maintaining these standards as appropriate to the role.
· Support, promote and actively participate in sustainable energy, water and waste initiatives to create a more sustainable, low carbon and efficient health service.
· Engage in the HSE performance achievement process in conjunction with your Line Manager and staff as appropriate
The above Job Specification is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to them from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Qualifications and/ or experience
1. Professional Qualifications Experience, etc.
(a) Eligible applicants will be those who on the closing date for the competition:
(i) Possess a Junior Certificate or equivalent qualification
(ii) Have a minimum of 2 years working in the cleaning/catering and or hospitality industry with experience of working with large numbers in a busy environment.
(iii) Candidates must possess the requisite knowledge and ability, including a high standard of suitability and professional ability, for the proper discharge of the duties of the office.
A candidate for and any person holding the office must be fully competent and capable of undertaking the duties attached to the office and be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
Each candidate for and any person holding the office must be of good character.
Post Specific Requirements
Depth and breadth of experience in working in the cleaning/catering and or hospitality industry.
Other requirements specific to the post
Access to appropriate transport to fulfil the requirements of the role.
Skills, competencies and/or knowledge
· Demonstrate knowledge of HIQA and Hygiene (cleaning) Standards and the requirements in this role to adhere to same.
· Demonstrate knowledge of cleaning to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the role
· Demonstrate knowledge in the area of healthcare or cleaning duties in a relevant service.
· Demonstrate an ability to apply knowledge to best practice
· Demonstrate a commitment to continuing professional development
· Demonstrate ability to work under pressure
· Demonstrate a commitment to assuring high standards and strive for a patient centred service
· Demonstrate knowledge of HSELand website for training and education
· Demonstrate ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team
· Demonstrate motivation and an innovative approach to post
· Demonstrate ability to present neat and tidy appearance
· Demonstrate ability to carry out instructions and appreciate the important of providing quality care to patients
Planning and Organising
· Demonstrate evidence of ability to work effectively and efficiently
· Demonstrate flexible approach – to working hours, rostering, e.g., unsocial hours/shift work, night duty
· Demonstrate ability to work on own initiative
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
· Demonstrate effective communication skills including the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner
· Demonstrate ability to communicate with colleague in a professional and dignified manner
· Demonstrate ability to listen openly
The Salary scale for the post is: (as at 01/10/2022)
€29,942 - €31,713 - €33,032 - €33,583 - €33,816 - €34,365 - €34,927 - €35,370 - €35,901
Follow us on Facebook and stay up to date with the latest jobs in Donegal!
Before you go
By creating a job alert, you agree to our Terms. You can unsubscribe from these directly within the emails or as detailed in our terms.Continue to job