Independent Advocate (Separated Children Seeking International Protection)
Details: 12-month contract (Initially)
Responsible to: Service Manager
This post requires a belief in the YAP model of strengths-based, needs-led services for children, young people, and families and the importance of Independent Advocacy.
You must have experience in the provision of direct services to children, young people and families and an understanding of their support needs. For this role you will lead in the delivery of a high-quality Independent Advocacy Service to Separated Children Seeking International Protection who are being assessed by Tusla for eligibility for services where Tusla deem age to be a consideration.
You will be working within our strengths-based model and operating within YAP Ireland policies and procedures.
Those with lived experience and/or who speak other languages than English and Irish are particularly welcome to apply.
This post requires a high degree of flexibility and creativity in responding to the needs of young people, delivering a high standard of service in a changing climate, working time, and the requirement for travel.
The post offers:
- A competitive salary of €44,193 per annum
- An opportunity to make a difference in your community and society as a whole
- A huge amount of flexibility and work/life balance - YAP Ireland operates a remote/hybrid working policy
- The opportunity to join a growing, dynamic and forward-thinking organisation
- Employer contribution to PRSA
- 94% of employees agreed that YAP is an enjoyable place to work (staff opinion survey 2022)
1. Qualifications & Skills:
- A Degree in Advocacy or Social Care field eg. Youth Work, Community Work, Psychology, Child Psychology, Social Work, Social Science, and Social Care
- Experience of at least three years of direct work with children, young people and families. Experience in managing a range of stakeholder relationships in a solution-focused way.
- Experience in Advocating on behalf of Children, young people, and families.
- Full Clean Driver’s Licence and access to own transport.
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communications skills, including computer proficiency in Word, Outlook, Powerpoint, Excel, etc.
2. Responsibilities and Tasks:
The Independent Advocate is responsible to the Service Manager in the overall delivery of YAP Ireland Independent Advocacy Service for Separated Children Seeking International Protection.
Specific Tasks Include:
- Provide independent advocacy to Separated Children Seeking International Protection as referred by the TUSLA SCSIP team for eligibility for TUSLA services and ensure that their voice is heard within this process.
- To attend assessment interviews as an Independent Advocate e.g. interviews with social workers, interpreters, and other professionals relating to the young person.
- To support and advocate on behalf of the young person to increase their voice in the interview and assessment process.
- Develop effective working relationships with key staff within TUSLA, legal representatives, social care services, and relevant community and voluntary organisations to ensure that a quality advocacy service can be delivered.
- To ensure that the Independent Advocacy service is delivered in line with the YAP Model.
- Ensure quality case management is carried out in a timely manner in line with case management guidance and policies.
- Participate in training and awareness sessions for service users, community groups and service providers.
- To manage child protection referrals and incidents and act as a designated liaison officer in line with Children’s First Guidelines.
- To ensure all necessary reporting requirements are delivered in a timely fashion including HR, research, statistics, financial reports, etc.
- Ensure that best practice guidelines are adhered to by all staff including Children First guidelines, and legislative requirements including the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child 1992.
- Facilitate and participate in staff team meetings and training sessions as scheduled.
- Attend regular 1:1 monthly supervision with the line manager.
- Assist in the achievement of fundraising, participation, and communication strategies.
- Adhere to all YAP Ireland HR policies and procedures, including Health and Safety Policy, Code of Conduct, Child Protection, Complaints, Performance Management.
- Perform other duties as required by Senior Managers.
Independent Advocate Person Specification Qualifications
- Candidates should possess a degree in Advocacy or Social Care field eg. Youth Work, Community Work, Psychology, Child Psychology, Social Work, Social Science, and Social Care
- Belief in a strength-based, needs-led, children’s rights model of advocacy working with children and young people by understanding their needs.
- Experience of at least three years of direct work with children, young people, and families or vulnerable adults.
- Experience of Advocating on behalf of Children, young people, and families.
- Experience of managing a range of stakeholder relationships in a solution-focused way.
- Experience in child protection work.
- Full Clean Driver’s Licence and access to own transport
- Lived experience – expert by experience.
- Proficiency in languages other than Irish and English.
- Experience and understanding of the issues for Separated Children Seeking International Protection in Ireland
- Experience of Group work or Participation Work with young people and/or family members
- Experience in delivering training to staff.
- Ability to motivate and work within a team or independently.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, both oral and written, including computer proficiency in the use of Word, Outlook, Powerpoint, Excel, etc.
- Ability to be creative, innovative, and dynamic and work in a strengths-based way
- Ability to prioritise tasks and manage workload
Click Apply Now to visit our careers page and apply today!
The closing date for applications is Monday the 6th of February 2023
Before you go
By creating a job alert, you agree to our Terms. You can unsubscribe from these directly within the emails or as detailed in our terms.Continue to job