Who we are?
Ornua is a dairy co-operative which sells dairy products on behalf of its Members; Ireland’s dairy processors and, in turn, Irish dairy farmers. It is Ireland’s largest exporter of Irish dairy products, exporting to 110 countries worldwide. Headquartered in Dublin, it has annualised sales of over €2.3 billion and a global team of 2,850 employees. Ornua operates from 10 business units worldwide, including 16 production facilities, and has sales and marketing teams working in-market across all four corners of the globe.
At Ornua, our Values guide us as we work together and care for each other to achieve great things. Our five values, and their underlying behaviours, encourage us to Seek and Embrace New Ideas, Make It Happen, Be Our True Selves, Show You Care and Achieve Great Things Together.
Ornua has a fabulous new Research & Development laboratory based in the National Food Innovation Hub in Teagasc Moorepark, Co. Cork. Supporting a team of researchers, the laboratory technician will optimise the functioning of the laboratory and learn in a culture of achieving great things together.
We are looking for someone who has an interest in science and food (especially milk products). Someone who is interested in working in a hands-on environment but is willing to use a laptop and Microsoft office. Do you enjoy following processes and getting the process right time after time? Are you tidy, neat, precise and careful about your work? Then this apprenticeship might just be for you.
At the end of the two-year apprenticeship, we would expect the successful candidate to:
• Be trained to work safely in a laboratory environment.
• Understand the health and safety hazards of the Ornua laboratory.
• Be adept at using personal protective equipment.
• Understand the principles of good laboratory practice.
• Be able to test milk powder, cheese, and butter.
• Understand the chemical and scientific principles behind the testing.
• Be able to operate, maintain and calibrate routine laboratory equipment from pH meters, to incubators, to using specialised laboratory equipment for the testing of dairy products.
• Record and review analytical data and report on results.
• Maintain the laboratory, doing daily checks, ordering consumables so they do not run out, ensuring that annual maintenance is planned and carried out on various equipment and systems.
Working with a diverse group of R&D researchers on interesting and varied projects the apprentice should get a great introduction to laboratory work during the two-year placement.
• Salary is set at €24,000 per annum.
• Programme start, September 2022.
• Following completion of the programme, participants will be awarded a Higher Certificate in Science Laboratory Technician (Level 6)
• Pass (Grade 06 or better) in five leaving certificate subjects, two of which must be maths and a science subject
• 250 CAO Points or
• Relevant Fetac Level 5 or Level 6 Graduate
The closing date for applications is Thursday the 25th of August 2022
Follow us on Facebook and stay up to date with the latest jobs in Cork!
Before you go
By creating a job alert, you agree to our Terms. You can unsubscribe from these directly within the emails or as detailed in our terms.Continue to job