Reporting to the National Lead for Palliative Care or another designated manager.
Key Working Relationships
Key Working Relationships:
The role requires effective internal and external relationships including with
· Lead for Palliative Care, the Palliative Care team and the wider Integrated Operations-Planning team
· Acute and Community Operations, Integrated Operations
· Primary Care Integrated Operations
· Clinical Programme Leads and Programme Managers
· Healthcare professionals
· Managers and support staff from:
- Healthcare Strategy
- Community Healthcare Organisation (CHO) Areas and Hospital Groups
- Statutory and voluntary adult palliative care sector
- Statutory and voluntary children’s palliative care sector
- Department of Health (DoH)
- A wide range of partnership organisations including the Irish Hospice Foundation, the All-Ireland Institute of Hospice and Palliative Care, the Irish Cancer Society, LauraLynn and The Jack & Jill Children’s Foundation.
Purpose of the Post
To provide Office Management and project management support to the National Lead for Palliative Care, (or other designated manager) for the department's day-to-day operation, governance, management and administrative function and supervise staff within their remit.
In addition, they will support the implementation of a wide range of programmes and projects, including but not limited to a joint HSE-IHF collaborative national programme on palliative, end-of-life and bereavement care for the nursing home sector.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The position of Grade VII encompasses both managerial and administrative responsibilities which include the following:
· Support the relevant Line Manager in the overall management of the National Office for Palliative Care, including the development of standard operating procedures for the management of email/other correspondence and wider office requirements
· Ensure the efficient administration of area of responsibility, ensuring deadlines are met and information is provided to management in a timely manner
· Ensure consistency and professionalism in the content and presentation of all reports, papers and PowerPoint presentations generated by or for the Department / Office
· Contribute to the development of service and operational plans for own area of responsibility and support the implementation of service and operational plan objectives within own area and related reporting
· Execute assignments in accordance with agreed plans, budgets and deadlines
· Support the relevant Line Manager in budgetary data collation and analysis, and monitor budget allocation and expenditure
· Monitor and control the use of resources in accordance with HSE financial regulations
· Ensure all general and financial records are readily available
· Support the development and completion of paperwork associated with HSE grant funding processes and procedures and the monitoring of the same
· Prepare clear, concise, accurate reports backed up by sufficient reliable documentary evidence, including relevant data monitoring and reporting
· Deliver presentations to groups as required
· Participate in and lead project working groups and represent the HSE on committees as required
· Deal with FOI queries, Data Protection queries and responses to Parliamentary Questions, as required
· Support the development and maintenance of the Risk Register for Palliative Care
· Make appropriate use of technology to advance the quality and efficiency of service provision
· Make decisions and solve problems in a timely manner and inform others of decisions that have implications for them, making sure the team knows how to action them
· Provide administrative support for meetings and attend as required
· Take minutes at meetings and prepare for circulation following a meeting as required
· Appropriately delegate responsibility and authority
· Maintain a good understanding of internal and external factors that can affect service delivery, including awareness of national and local issues that impact on own area
· Promote co-operation and working in harmony with other teams and disciplines
· Ensure regular two-way communication happens between line management and senior management
· Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders to gather support for new initiatives
· Advise, promote, and participate in implementing best practices and innovations in service delivery
· Undertake special assignments as directed.
· Work with the National Lead for Palliative Care or other designated manager and all key stakeholders to define and deliver projects
· Support development and management of projects
· Implement robust project management methodology and processes to enable successful project performance and delivery
· Identify and manage all resources and funding assigned to the project
· Ensure that required supports are available to enable successful delivery of the projects
· Manage the progress and completion of project tasks and activities
· Ensure approval and acceptance of project deliverables to agreed quality standards
· Manage all aspects of project delivery through the full lifecycle from initiation to closure as required.
· Promote and participate in the implementation of change
· Proactively identify inequities / inefficiencies in service administration and implement solutions to improve service delivery, in line with legislation and benchmarking against best practice structures
· Embrace change and adapt local work practices accordingly by finding practical ways to make policies work, ensuring team knows how to action changes
· Encourage and support staff through change process.
· Promote and maintain a customer focused environment by ensuring service users are treated with dignity and respect
· Seek feedback from service users / customers to evaluate service and implement change.
Human Resources / Supervision of Staff
· Supervise and enable other team members to carry out their responsibilities
· Liaise with relevant stakeholders in the collation and return of relevant HR documentation and data in a timely manner
· Engage in Garda Vetting process as and when appropriate in respect of relevant areas of responsibility
· Review the conduct and completion of assignments of other staff in accordance with the operational plan and expected quality standards
· Create and maintain a positive working environment among staff members, which contributes to maintaining and enhancing effective working relationships
· Manage the performance of staff, dealing with underperformance in a timely and constructive manner
· Identify and agree training and development needs of team and design plan to meet needs
· Conduct regular staff meetings to keep staff informed and to hear views
· Keep in touch with workloads of staff members to gauge levels of stress and morale in the team
· Pursue and promote continuous professional development in order to develop leadership and management expertise and professional knowledge.
Standards, Regulations, Policies, Procedures & Legislation
· Contribute to the development of policies and procedures and ensure consistent adherence to procedures and current standards within area of responsibility
· Effectively discharge the day-to-day operations, including compliance with HSE Financial regulations and all HSE policies and procedures
· Ensure accurate attention to detail and consistent adherence to procedures and current standards within area of responsibility
· Maintain own knowledge of relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and practices to perform the role effectively and to ensure standards are met by own team
· Maintain own knowledge of relevant regulations and legislation e.g., HSE Financial Regulations, Health & Safety legislation, Employment legislation, FOI Acts, GDPR
· Have a working knowledge of the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) Standards and other standards as they apply to the role for example, Standards for Healthcare, National Standards for the Prevention and Control of Healthcare Associated Infections, Hygiene Standards etc. and comply with associated HSE protocols for implementing and maintaining these standards
· Support, promote and actively participate in sustainable energy, water and waste initiatives to create a more sustainable, low carbon and efficient health service
The above Job Specification is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him / her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Skills, competencies and/or knowledge
Professional Knowledge & Experience
· An understanding of the health service within Ireland
· Experience of working in a busy office environment which has involved interacting in a professional manner with senior management and other key internal and external stakeholders
· Experience of developing and implementing standards, policies, procedures and guidelines
· Experience of risk management and reporting
· Experience in a role that has involved budget and staff management responsibility.
· Significant experience of using project management tools, methodologies, and processes
· Excellent project management skills and the ability to manage a range of projects simultaneously, with a robust evidence-based approach, attention to detail and delivery of results
· Knowledge and understanding of challenges involved in service improvement and change management
· Experience of managing external contractors and suppliers
· Demonstrates knowledge and experience relevant to the role as per the duties & responsibilities, eligibility criteria and post specific requirements of the role
· Maximises the use of ICT, demonstrating excellent computer skills particularly Microsoft Office, Outlook etc.
· The ability to work in line with relevant policies and procedures
· A commitment to developing own professional knowledge and expertise.
Planning and Managing Resources
· The ability to successfully manage a range of different projects and work activities concurrently, utilising computer technology effectively and assigning work to others as appropriate to meet strict deadlines
· The ability to proactively identify areas for improvement and to develop practical solutions for their implementation.
· The ability to embrace change and adapt local work practices accordingly by finding practical ways to make policies work, ensuring the team knows how to action changes.
· The ability to use resources effectively, challenging processes to improve efficiencies where appropriate.
· Responsibility and accountability for the timely delivery of agreed objectives
· The ability to Challenge processes to improve efficiencies where appropriate, and a commitment to attaining value for money.
Evaluating Information, Problem Solving & Decision Making
· Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
· The ability to quickly grasp and understand complex issues and the impact on service delivery and the use of initiative in the resolution of the same
· Consideration of the impact of decisions before taking action
· Anticipation of problems and recognises when to involve other parties (at the appropriate time and level)
· The ability to confidently explain the rationale behind decisions when faced with opposition.
· The ability to build and maintain relationships with colleagues and other stakeholders and to achieve results through collaborative working
· The ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a dynamic team and multi stakeholder environment
· The ability to lead the team by example, coaching and supporting individuals as required.
· Flexibility, adaptability, and openness to working effectively in a changing environment.
Communications & Interpersonal Skills
· Effective verbal communication skills, delivering complex information clearly, concisely, and confidently
· Excellent written communication skills including strong report writing and presentation skills
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to deal effectively with a wide range of stakeholders.
Commitment to a Quality Service
· Evidence of practicing and promoting a strong focus on delivering high quality customer service for internal and external customers and an awareness and appreciation of the needs of the service user
· Attention to detail and a consistent adherence to procedures and standards within area of responsibility
· Flexibility and initiative during challenging times and an ability to persevere despite setback.
The Salary scale for the post is: (as at 01/10/2021)
€51,342 - €52,595 - €54,062 - €55,532 - €57,008 - €58,325 - €59,668 - €60,973 - €62,270 - €64,503 - €66,742 LSIs
Before you go
By creating a job alert, you agree to our Terms. You can unsubscribe from these directly within the emails or as detailed in our terms.Continue to job