Post Title: Portering Supervisor
Post Status: Permanent
Department Portering Services
Location: Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9
Reports to: Portering Services Manager
Salary: Appointment will be made on Portering Supervisor salary scale (€32,770 - €38,984) at a point in line with Government pay policy.
Hours of work: Full-Time/39 Hours
Closing Date: 12 Noon on 22.08.2019
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to form part of the Portering Services Management Team. The Portering Service provides support to all clinical and corporate departments over the 24 hour day, Seven days a week. The successful candidate will have:
- At least 2 years experience of working in an Acute Hospital Setting.
- Will be a self motivated individual who can demonstrate their commitment to a quality service.
- Supervisory experience is desirable but not essential.
The Portering services department plays a support role to the delivery of all clinical and non-clinical services and departments across all Beaumont Hospital sites. This support role is key to the smooth running of the hospital and to supporting timely and professional patient care.
The Portering Service Supervisor will be responsible for day to day delivery of Portering services. In particular, they will ensure that porters are deployed in such a way as to ensure an efficient service delivery. Deployment of porters should be cognisant of the needs of the various departments and the skills and training of the relevant porters. As a senior member of the Portering services team they will be expected to contribute to the overall running and development of the department, keep management updated on all issues that affect the department / hospital.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• To coordinate and prioritise the duties of Portering staff in the area (s) to which they are assigned.
• To allocate and distribute the workload to maximise efficiency.
• To organise and supervise internal delivery systems.
• To liaise with service users, eg. Clinical Nurse Managers, Department Heads, Business Managers in response to or in anticipation of complaints, enquiries and service requests.
• To ensure that porters are punctual and report to allocated departments on time and to examine and maintain time keeping records and to assist with staff disciplinary procedures as and when required.
• To ensure that staff wear approved uniforms and are well groomed.
• To organise and schedule staff in the area of assignment to ensure sufficient cover at all times including breaks.
• To ensure upkeep of Portering work and rest areas.
• Attend departmental and other meetings as required.
• Adhere to hospital policies.
• Ensure good communication within the Portering department by appropriate means, including establishing regular staff meetings in line with the hospitals communication strategy.
• Ensure staff attends all relevant mandatory and specialised training.
• Supervise and initiate local level training of any new staff assigned to the area.
• Provide or facilitate refresher training for existing staff as required.
• Record sick leave and redeploy staff to cover absences as required.
• Conduct return to work interviews.
• Maintain records of all leave eg. annual leave, sick leave etc.
• Maintain records of all training of staff (mandatory and any other training deemed necessary).
• Assist with salary returns as required.
• Maintain good working relationships with all members of staff.
• Support the Portering Services Managers in the maintenance of discipline and adherence to hospital policies.
• Assist with rostering, annual leave planning, allocation of duties etc.
• Participate in disciplinary hearings as required.
Equipment Management – oxygen, wheelchairs, dect phones, bleeps, etc
• Ensure cleaning and maintenance schedule for wheelchairs is compliant with hygiene and infection prevention and control standards.
• Ensure wheelchairs are stored in such a manner as to ensure maximum availability.
• Ensure maintenance and delivery of medical gas cylinders on a daily basis.
• To organise and co-ordinate the audio visual equipment for lectures and / or conferences.
• Carry out audit as required.
• Participate in hospital committees / working groups as required.
• Maintenance, problem identifying and solving of issues in the department
• Other duties as may be deemed necessary.
• This is a working supervisor post and the appointee will be required to rotate to the various areas covered by the Portering Services, including Radiology, Theatre, Pool Room, Night duty.
• Manage complaints at a local level, referring them on to Portering Services Managers when necessary.
Selection criteria outline the qualifications, skills, knowledge and/or experience that the successful candidate would need to demonstrate for successful discharge of the responsibilities of the post.
Applications will be assessed on the basis of how well candidates satisfy these criteria.
• Skill VEC 5/ Leaving Cert Standard
• Acute Hospital Experience
• Supervisory Experience
The Hospital www.beaumont.ie
Management Unit: www.beaumont.ie/hr
Informal Enquiries ONLY to:
Name: Mervyn Borwick
Title: Portering Services Manager
Email address: email@example.com
Telephone: 01 852 8129