School Wardens make a valuable contribution to the community on behalf of Galway City Council. The Council currently has twenty School Wardens positions across the City serving eleven primary schools, which must be manned every day to ensure safe passage of school children to and from School. This requires the Warden to possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills and an ability to work on their own initiative, in an independent environment and without constant supervision.
Duties for the position of School Warden:
The School Warden shall perform under the direction and control of the appropriate Supervisor/s such duties, and at such locations, as may be assigned to him/her from time to time, which will include:
· Reporting for duty promptly at the specified times and locations assigned, under the direction of the Supervisor.
· Guiding school children across the road. Depending on the location of the school, the Warden may be required to stop traffic progressing from a number of directions.
· Wearing the official uniform supplied including coat, hat etc. at all times.
· Carrying of the official sign at all times.
· Reporting of any incidents (on prescribed form) of any nature which occur during the course of their duties.
· Notifying the Supervisor, without delay, should he or she be unable to report for duty.
· Attending induction training and ongoing training as required.
· Complying fully with all health and safety regulations.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POST OF SCHOOL WARDEN
Candidates shall be of good character
Each candidate must be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service. Selected candidates may be required to undergo an initial medical examination, and any further medical examinations required during his/her employment as a School Warden by a qualified medical practitioner to be nominated by the Local Authority.
3. Education, Training, Experience, Etc.:
· Candidates must have a good general level of education.
· Candidates should possess satisfactory knowledge/experience of road safety.
PRINCIPAL CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
Type of Post
Future relevant permanent and temporary posts will be filled from the panel formed. The post(s) will be part-time and pensionable.
(Min) €14.81 to (Max) €16.82 gross per hour (Circular EL08/2019)
Hours of Duty
The permanent part-time School Warden will be required to work 15 hours per week, consisting of three sessions per day for a five day week during the school term. The temporary part-time School Warden will be assigned hours by the Supervisor not exceeding the permanent part-time School Warden hours outlined above.
The successful candidate may be required to log their hours of work in accordance with the requirements of the Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997 and will be required to co-operate with the use of technologies to record such hours.
The closing date for applications is Thursday the 1st of October 2020
Follow us on Facebook and stay up to date with the latest jobs in Galway!
Before you go
By creating a job alert, you agree to our Terms. You can unsubscribe from these directly within the emails or as detailed in our terms.