POB-44 Senior Researcher in Electronics Packaging
Contract: Full Time/Fixed Term
The Photonics Packaging Group at the Tyndall Institute invites applications for an exciting position as Senior Researcher in Electronics Packaging. The position takes responsibility for overseeing and directly managing all electronic design, electronic packaging and electronic related testing requirements in the Photonics Packaging Group. As a large part of the group’s research is focused on the development of high speed photonic communication technologies, the researcher should have significant experience in high speed RF design, using advanced software simulation and design tools such as Ansys HFSS.
The Senior Researcher in Electronic Packaging will take responsibility for a wide range project activities. This includes: 1) Design of all electronic aspects of advanced photonic packages such as interposers, PCBs, device flipchip, electrical connectors, etc. 2) Managing research projects which involve significant electronic packaging activities but also involve optical packaging, 3) Support in managing critical reporting activities such as preparation of technical reports and presentations. 4) Support with the preparation and submission of proposals to industry and funding agencies. The successful candidate is also expected to work towards leading and submitting proposals funding applications. The position involves international travel, including attendance at major conferences and exhibitions to give technical presentations to large audiences.
- Manage research projects which have a large component of electronic design. This will include managing and supporting other (e.g. early career) researchers in the group to ensure they complete critical project tasks.
- Oversee and take responsibility for the design of electronic packaging solutions using advanced simulation and design software.
- Oversee and take responsibility for packaging of electronic designs.
- Oversee and take responsibility for testing of electronic designs.
- Prepare and submit technical reports on research projects.
- Support with the preparation and submission of new research proposals to funding agencies and industry.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the required Health and Safety standards.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- PhD qualified with typically 5 years academic and/or industrial experience.
- Experience in electronic design for photonic-based applications such as high speed communication systems.
- Experience using advanced electronic design software for activities such as layout of interposers and PCBs, device flipchip integration and wirebonding. In particular the design of high frequency packages (e.g. 25GHz and higher).
- Demonstrate a track-record of collaborating with both academic and industrial partners and managing large-scale research projects.
- Experience in photonic (optical) and electronic packaging processes.
- Demonstrate an ability to take electronic-based concepts from initial design through to full prototypes.
- Track record of managing multi-partner research projects, including industrial projects.
- Experience presenting your research to a large technical audience.
- Excellent communication and technical report writing skills.
- Experience in integrated photonic device fabrication and test.
- Experience of using photonics for a range of application areas, especially in communications.
- Demonstrate a growing publication record (including journals & conferences).
- Experience managing European funded research projects such as FP7 or H2020 projects.
- Experience with reporting project updates, such as European project reviews, including presenting results to the European Commission and reviewers.
- Industrial experience related to the technical field.
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to email@example.com
Appointment may be made on the Grade 6 Admin III (B) €53,257 - €60,941. Salary placement on appointment will be in accordance with public sector pay policy.
Closing date is 21st May, 2021.
The closing date for applications is Friday the 21st of May 2021
Follow us on Facebook and stay up to date with the latest jobs in Cork!
Before you go
By creating a job alert, you agree to our Terms. You can unsubscribe from these directly within the emails or as detailed in our terms.Continue to job