Please complete your application before 17th January 2020, for a summer 2020 start.
To apply, please follow the instructions below. To have a complete application, you'll need a CV/resume and a cover letter.
STEP 1 Prepare the following documents to complete your application:
- Current CV or resume combined with the following items to create one PDF attachment:
- List the grades you achieved in topics related to Maths, Science or Computing/IT. Only candidates who are 18 years or older and who have achieved, at a minimum, a passing grade in 5 or more subjects (to include Maths and English) in the Leaving Certificate or an equivalent qualification, will be considered for this apprenticeship. Final grades and eligibility will be verified prior to the start date.
- List any projects that you have been involved in or started that demonstrate your suitability or passion for the role.
- Let us know how you heard about this apprenticeship role (Note: this information will be used in aggregate and will not be considered as part of your application)
- Cover letter explaining your interest in applying to be an apprentice at Google.
STEP 2 Click on the “Apply” button on this page to provide the above required materials in the appropriate sections:
- In the “Resume Section:” attach your current CV or resume combined with the above items to create one PDF attachment.**This section is mandatory for the program even though it is optional, as noted on the website, for other jobs at Google.**
For any questions, please contact us on email@example.com.
- Achieved a passing grade in 5 or more subjects (including Maths and English) in the Leaving Certificate or an equivalent qualification.
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically.
- Coding experience in any programming language.
- Effective communication and organizational skills, proactive, self-motivated, positive attitude, and strong problem solving capabilities.
- Ability to work independently and within a team framework.
- Willingness to navigate ambiguous tasks, find suitable solutions and seek help/advice where appropriate.
- Enthusiasm and passion for new technologies, demonstrated through personal projects and interest in learning new skills.
- Have authorization to work in Ireland.
About the job
As an apprentice at Google, you will join a program that aims to provide the skills you need to become a Software Developer professional. You will join a team at Google and will be assigned a manager for the duration of your 24-month apprenticeship. The program can include 2-3 rotations and you will be supported day-to-day by a host for each of them. You will also be assigned a buddy. You will start in summer 2020 with a 6-month offsite training with our educational partner, FIT (Fastrack to Information Technology) in a dedicated technology centre. This will allow you to learn the basics of tech by following the ICT Associate Professional - Software Developer track and set you up for success for your onsite time at Google.
While onsite, you will have the opportunity to work alongside a team of Googlers (yes, that’s people working at Google!) to solve real life problems. You will get exposure to a range of different roles across the company including coding, development, testing and project management. Additionally, you will learn how to apply problem solving skills to real life challenges, pick up new technical skills such as programming in multiple languages, learn about software testing and other industry practices and see how software is designed and developed. After your initial 6 months of full-time training, your apprenticeship will involve a combination of on-the-job experience in our offices supplemented with training centre courses. You’ll study towards an Advanced Certificate in Computer Programming (Software Development) at NFQ Level 6 and you will gain the skills you need to build your expertise and establish yourself as a tech professional.
Google aspires to be an organization that reflects the globally diverse audience that our search engine and tools serve. We believe that in addition to hiring the best talent, a diversity of perspectives, ideas and cultures leads to the creation of better products and services. Interacting with people in all parts of the company will give you insight into our unique enterprise and corporate culture.
- Support your team in the development of software based on agreed projects and platforms.
- Follow application and component level design working to standards and patterns agreed by the team leads.
- Follow coding standards and ensure compliance with quality measures.
- Ensure code is tested in accordance with the guidelines provided by the team or your host.
- Undertake training and follow mentoring as specified.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.