Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The following is an overview of the duties and responsibilities of a Clerical Officer post. The role of Clerical Officer can be extremely broad based and varies greatly. There may be other specific duties and responsibilities dependent on the area of work you are assigned to but these will be outlined at later stage. The Clerical Officer will be responsible for the day to day administrative functions of the Department under the direction of the assigned supervisor/manager. The role covers all aspects of clerical and administrative work to ensure the effective running of the Department
The Clerical Officer is required to have sufficient knowledge of the relevant procedures and practices to perform the role efficiently and ensure the standards set are maintained.
· The person holding this post is required to support the principle that the care of the patient comes first at all times and will approach their work with the flexibility and enthusiasm necessary to make this principle a reality for every patient to the greatest possible degree
· Maintain throughout the Group’s awareness of the primacy of the patient in relation to all hospital activities.
· Performance management systems are part of role and you will be required to participate in the Group’s performance management programme
General Administrative Duties:
· Day to day office duties e.g. Correspondence, post, typing, faxing, photocopying, filing etc.
· Logging all enquiries/telephone calls, complaints etc. Prioritising same, dealing with queries, keeping supervisor/manager informed of progress and activities.
· Assist in the drafting and issue of letters, memos and general information to internal customers, clients and general public
· Populate, maintain and update local databases and records
· Work closely with all functions within the hospital to deliver planned services of your department
· Organise and schedule meetings
· Minute taking
· To collect, sort and distribute the Department’s mail each morning
· Provide cross cover as per the departments/ management requirements
· To conduct all assignments in a professional, confidential and discreet manner
· Maintain accurate up to date record
Legislative Compliance and Record Keeping:
· Have awareness of the guidelines and legislation that governs your area of work and ensure compliance when issuing advice and documentation
· Ensure compliance with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Record Keeping/Retention
· Assist in the implementation of new legislation/guidelines and associated reports and tasks
· Interpreting and providing written and oral information to staff and clients, i.e. by phone, letter, etc and contribute positively to the public image of the Health Service Executive.
· Liaise and co-operate with external/internal stakeholders/other members of staff in the interest of providing the best possible service to patients and clients.
· Understand service users by being approachable and by listening to them
· Action all communications in a timely manner
· Have an understanding of the health service and how it works
· Understand how your department impacts on the service users
· Understand how neighbouring departments and functions must combine their efforts to achieve optimum services levels
· Use knowledge of the organisation’s structures and traditions to help achieve results
· Act in a manner that is consistent with the organisation’s values and vision
· Treat all information and service users with confidentiality and discretion
· Undertake other assignments as directed
Health & Safety:
· Comply with the policies, procedures and safe professional practice of the Irish Healthcare System by adhering to relevant legislation, regulations and standards
· Document appropriately and report any near misses, hazard
and accidents and bring them to the attention of relevant
designated individual(s) in line with best practice
· Work in a safe manner with due care and attention to the safety of self and others
· Be aware of risk management issues, identify risks and take appropriate action
· Comply with department procedures with regard to assessment, recommendation and / or manufacturing of all assistive devices
· Promote a culture that values diversity and respect
· The identification and development of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) which are congruent with the Hospital’s service plan targets.
· The development of Action Plans to address KPI targets.
· Driving and promoting a Performance Management culture.
· In conjunction with line manager assist in the development of a Performance Management system for your profession.
· The management and delivery of KPIs as a routine and core business objective.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING GENERAL CONDITIONS:
· Employees must attend fire lectures annually and must observe fire orders.
· All accidents within the Department must be reported immediately.
· Infection Control Policies must be adhered to.
· In line with the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Acts 2005 and 2010 all staff must comply with all safety regulations and audits.
· In line with the Public Health (Tobacco) (Amendment) Act 2004, smoking within the Hospital Buildings is not permitted.
· Hospital uniform code must be adhered to.
· Provide information that meets the need of Senior Management.
· To support, promote and actively participate in sustainable energy, water and waste initiatives to create a more sustainable, low carbon and efficient health service.
Risk Management, Infection Control, Hygiene Services and Health & Safety
· The management of Risk, Infection Control, Hygiene Services and Health & Safety is the responsibility of everyone and will be achieved within a progressive, honest and open environment.
· The post holder must be familiar with the necessary education, training and support to enable them to meet this responsibility.
· The post holder has a duty to familiarise themselves with the relevant Organisational Policies, Procedures & Standards and attend training as appropriate in the following areas:
o Continuous Quality Improvement Initiatives
o Document Control Information Management Systems
o Risk Management Strategy and Policies
o Hygiene Related Policies, Procedures and Standards
o Decontamination Code of Practice
o Infection Control Policies
o Safety Statement, Health & Safety Policies and Fire Procedure
o Data Protection and confidentiality Policies
· The post holder is responsible for ensuring that they become familiar with the requirements stated within the Risk Management Strategy and that they comply with the Group’s Risk Management Incident/Near miss reporting Policies and Procedures.
· The post holder is responsible for ensuring that they comply with hygiene services requirements in your area of responsibility. Hygiene Services incorporates environment and facilities, hand hygiene, catering, cleaning, the management of laundry, waste, sharps and equipment.
· The post holder must foster and support a quality improvement culture through-out your area of responsibility in relation to hygiene services.
· The post holders’ responsibility for Quality & Risk Management, Hygiene Services and Health & Safety will be clarified to you in the induction process and by your line manager.
· The post holder must take reasonable care for his or her own actions and the effect that these may have upon the safety of others.
· The post holder must cooperate with management, attend Health & Safety related training and not undertake any task for which they have not been authorised and adequately trained.
· The post holder is required to bring to the attention of a responsible person any perceived shortcoming in our safety arrangements or any defects in work equipment.
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
The Salary scale (as at 01/01/2021) for the post is
€25,101 - €26,718 - €27,115 - €27,924 - €29,103 - €30,285 - €31,468 - €32,326 - €33,299 - €34,428 - €35,226 - €36,344 - €37,471 - €39,587 - €41,092 LSI
Follow us on Facebook and stay up to date with the latest jobs in Sligo!
Before you go
By creating a job alert, you agree to our Terms. You can unsubscribe from these directly within the emails or as detailed in our terms.Continue to job