15 Mar 2020

Short-time Work Support Payment if you're working week has been cut

Short-time Work Support is a form of Jobseeker’s Benefit and is an income support payment if you have been temporarily placed on a shorter working week.

The payment is made in respect of your regular salary for the days that you are no longer working. For example, If your working week has been reduced from a 5 day work pattern to a 3 day work pattern, you can receive support for the other 2 days.

Short-time Work Support is paid for a maximum of 234 days. Your entitlement will depend on the number of social insurance contributions you have.

To qualify for Short-time Work Support, you must satisfy the two main PRSI Conditions for Jobseeker's Benefit

Employees must work 3 days per week or less to qualify, having previously been employed on a full time basis.

How to qualify

To qualify for Short-time Work Support, you must be:

  • temporarily working a standard reduced weekly work pattern
  • working 3 days or less per week having previously worked full-time
  • be under 66 years of age
  • be capable of work and be available for full-time work
  • have enough paid or credited social insurance (PRSI) contributions at class A, H, S or P

Rates of Payment

Your rate of payment will depend on your average weekly earnings in the governing contribution year and the change in your work pattern. For example, if you are placed on a 3 day work pattern having previously worked 5 days, you may be entitled to up €81.20 for the 2 days you are no longer working. This represents two fifths of the maximum weekly rate of Jobseekers Benefit of €203.

You may also get an increased rate of payment for a qualified adult and qualified children.

Short-time Work Support is not taxable.


The quickest way to apply for Jobseeker’s Benefit is through MyWelfare.ie

You must have a verified MyGovID to use this service. If you complete your form on-line, you can then send on the UP14 form completed by your employer.

Employees can also apply for Short-time Work Support at their Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office

You should apply as soon as your days have been reduced otherwise you could lose some payment.

To apply, you will need the following documents along with the application form:

  • identification – your public service card, passport or driving licence
  • proof of your address – a utility bill or letter from a government department

Application Form: Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit (UP1) - Download here

Your employer must also complete the form below

Short Time Work Support Form (UP14)
- Download Here

You must inform us of the days of employment and unemployment for each week you are on a reduced working pattern.

Further information can be found in our Short Term Working Booklet below.

Short Term Working Booklet

Information booklet on Short-time Work Support (available under Jobseekers Benefit Scheme)
Download Here.


You can appeal a decision if you are unhappy with it. You should appeal within 21 days of the decision and you can ask for an oral hearing.

An appeals officer, whose decision is final, will then decide your case. Some cases can be decided without an oral hearing.

If new information comes to light or your circumstances change, you can apply for Short term Work Support scheme again.

Operational Guidelines

Operational guidelines describe the processes and procedures that staff in the department follow when carrying out their work.

Operational Guidelines: Jobseeker's Benefit

Operational Guidelines: Payment-related issues

COVID-19: Get all of the latest updates for Employees and Employers here.

Need help? Contact us
Cookies, Privacy and Terms©JobAlert.ie  2021